Stonewall Century Ride
The Stonewall Century is a challenging road bike ride along one of Colorado’s most beautiful scenic highways. Join the race each August and enjoy some of the best road riding in Southern Colorado.
- 102 miles or gorgeous road riding
- +7500 ft elevation gain
- This is an out-and-back ride. Turn around wherever you like and head back to the party in the La Veta Town Park
- Start/end in La Veta Town Park
- Start time: 6:30 am – 8:30 am
- Ride along beautiful Colorado State Highway 12 (Highway of Legends Scenic Byway) to Segundo and back
- The registration fee covers 7 SAG stations (including a mid-ride lunch stop), mechanical assistance, a post-ride barbeque, a t-shirt, and more
Check the race’s Route and Profile map.
The route follows Highway 12, a Colorado Scenic Byway known as the “Highway of Legends”. You’ll start in La Veta at 7,013-foot elevation, climb to the top of Cucharas Pass (9,945 ft), descend to 8,400 feet, and then climb to the second feed station at North Lake (8,600 ft).
The route descends to the beautiful town of Stonewall and on to the lunch stop in Segundo, where the route reverses and returns, climbing along Highway 12.
You’ll encounter the back side of Cucharas Pass, which some have called the “Soul Crusher” at 83 miles into the 102-mile ride. The grade on this beast exceeds 10%. Have no fear, the steepest section lasts only one mile and the grade lessens toward the top. Then, you’ll enjoy the 17-mile descent into La Veta, where a BBQ dinner, live music, and massage tables await.