Twelve Must-Dos in Spanish Peaks Country
There’s so much to do in Spanish Peaks Country, where does one start? Good thing we compiled a list of some of our favorite activities. Take our challenge and try to do all 10!
- Find that one-of-a-kind item on Walsenburg’s Main Street and at the Antique Mall
- Go four-wheeling over Medano Pass to the Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Hike the Hogback Trail Loop
- Play a relaxing nine holes of gold at Walsenburg Gold Course in Lathrop State Park
- Splash in Walsenburg’s Wild Waters or Lathrop State Park
- Learn how the Great Dikes and other geologic phenomena were formed millions of years ago and how unique they are
- Go birding and wildlife viewing along the scenic Highway of Legends
- Trace the historic Taos Trail
- Fish for trout in the 10,000-foot-high Blue or Bear Lakes above Cuchara
- Hike to Lily Lake near the Top of Mt. Blanca
- Get off the main road and take the old La Veta pass to Uptop Historic District
- Hike the Dodgeton Creek trail starting at the Spring Creek trailhead in Cuchara
Do one of these or do all twelve, but if you Leave no Trace and Care for Colorado they’ll all still be here when you or your great-great grandchildren come to visit in 50+ years. Read more.
birding fishing four-wheeling hiking historic district mini golf trails water park